Leadership skills are important in both your business and personal life. Mastering the art of becoming a successful leader takes experience and knowledge. Successful leaders can motivate others to work hard, inspire confidence from those around them, and take control of difficult situations. At Tiger Leasing, we understand the importance of developing leadership skills, and have put together 7 tips to help you increase your ability.
- Think ahead - To be a great leader, you have to be able to look past the day to day issues and see the big picture. Extraordinary leaders see well beyond today or this week or even this year. They understand where they want to go, and they make the necessary plans to get to that goal. Understanding where you want to go, and having a realistic plan to get there will generate a confidence and sense of calm. Planning ahead and having a solid direction will allow you to show others how to reach your shared goal.
- Communicate clearly - Having goals and a vision won't do you any good if you can't communicate your plans and objectives. Work on giving detailed and easy to understand instructions. Focus on really listening to others so when a misunderstanding comes up, you can tackle the real issues. Communication is a two way street. It is as important to listen and understand others as it is to really think about what you are saying.
- Show your enthusiasm - You won't get other people excited if you lack concern. Your attraction to a subject or project is contagious. Remember the phrase "Water seeks its own level"? Your level of excitement will inspire others to get excited as well. That common ground will allow you to relate to and motivate others to accomplish the tasks necessary for reaching your goal.
- Make the tough calls - Successful leaders aren't afraid of important decisions, because they have the tools to make informed choices. Whether they meet with management to gather information or create a pros and cons list to weigh all of the factors, good leaders understand the steps that need to go in decision making. Strong leaders are able to weigh the facts and opinions of others and ultimately reach a conclusion that has the most benefits. Strong leaders posses a determination and resolve that allow them to reach conclusions and make the tough decisions in a fair and timely manner.
- Let ethics rule - A successful leader has a code of ethics that they stick to no matter what. Without principles and honor, leaders often fall. We've all heard the phrase "Those who stand for nothing, will fall for anything". Successful leaders know what they are standing for. They are guided by their ethics, and let their character shine through. They can handle tough situations because they are not swayed by what is easy, they are guided by what is right. This code of ethics allows good leaders to develop a personalized leadership style. Staying true to their character is what allows many successful leaders to reach their goals and inspire others along the way.
- Be gracious - A good leader understands the importance of giving others credit when it is due. Acknowledging others' work is important to establishing a constructive atmosphere. When you recognize others for their contributions, you are demonstrating your graciousness, and allowing others to feel like they are truly a contributing member of the team. Successful leaders understand they can't do it all alone, and appreciate those that are helping.
- Have a sense of humor - Even the most dedicated leaders need to understand there are times that you have to relax and have a little fun. Teams need to smile and enjoy themselves every now and again. Successful leaders recognize when they can't take themselves or a situation too seriously. Lightening the mood with a joke or reward is a great way to keep the team fresh and ready to work. Rewarding those who are working tirelessly along side of you is an important part of keeping others motivated.
Labels: Business Tips