Many people are stuck at a job they find less than satisfying. When you dislike your job because of your boss, your coworkers or your company, going to work can become a chore which can make you chronically unhappy. In today’s economy quitting your job is not an option for many, so instead of falling victim to your job try these 8 ways to make work more fun.
1. Silly dress-up days: Have everyone in the office dress up for a holiday, special occasion or just because. Some dress-up day ideas include holidays, favorite sports team, decade day or wear your favorite color day.
2. Decorate your area contest: Who doesn’t love to decorate? Pick a theme and challenge employees to decorate their work space and have a silly prize for the best decorations. This is a friendly competition that will bring lots of laughs and fun in to the office.
3. Compete with yourself: Everyone loves a little friendly competition and what better way to become your best by competing with yourself? Make your daily tasks into a game by trying to beat your efficiency and speed each day. However, be sure not to jeopardize the quality of your work by working too quickly!
4. Plan work events: An event like a company picnic is a great way to bond with employees outside of work. Being with co-workers in a non-work environment can help create friendships that will transfer over to the workplace.
5. Change the setting: Sitting in the same spot for eight hours a day can get a little boring so if you have the opportunity, try taking your work elsewhere. Can you work outside for a while? Or maybe you can take some work with you to a café over your lunch break? Try changing it up!
6. Celebrate special occasions: Whether it’s a co-worker’s birthday, the holidays or a big sale, take the time to celebrate together. Decorate the office and have a special lunch for these occasions because they are something worth celebrating and change up the mundane pace of a normal day at work.
7. Take breaks when necessary: Taking breaks isn’t necessarily something fun to do at work, but breaks are what can help you keep your sanity. Often times stress is why people hate their jobs, so when you are starting to feel swamped or fatigued, take a quick five minute break to refresh.
8. Brighten your work space: It might sound silly, but your office décor can affect your mood and quality of work. Decorate your office or work space with things that make you happy, such as family photos, plants or goofy knick knacks. Making your work space personalized makes for a warmer work environment that will make you feel more at home.
Your job is what you make of it, so why not make it fun? One of the most powerful businesswomen Colleen C. Barrett once said, "Work is either fun or drudgery. It depends on your attitude. I like fun." What other ways have you found to make work more fun? Share with us in the comments below, on our Facebook page or on Twitter!