To many people, Valentine’s Day is a day filled with flowers, sweet treats and their sweetie, but did you know the Holiday’s origins date all the way back to the year 496? In honor of February 14, we thought it would be fun to take a look at 14 fun facts about Valentine’s Day!
- Last year the average American spent $126.03 for the Holiday, up 8.5 percent from 2011. In addition, a total of $367 million was spent on Valentine’s gifts for pets!
- Every Valentine’s Day, there are around 220,000 wedding proposals which account for 10 percent of the annual total.
- The New England Confectionery Company produces 8 billion Sweethearts Conversation Hearts every year.
- Valentine’s Day is the second most popular greeting card occasion, after Christmas, with 141 million cards exchanged each year. 85% of these cards are bought by women.
- On average, 196 million roses are produced for Valentine’s Day. In addition, about 15 percent of women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day.
- There are some romantic sounding cities in the US to spend Valentine’s Day, here are some ideas:
- Loveland, Colorado
- Rose City, Michigan
- Valentine, Texas
- Love Valley, North Carolina
- Love County, Oklahoma
- 61.8 percent of consumers celebrate Valentine’s Day.
- Besides cards, candy is the gift most often given on Valentine’s Day.
- The first Valentine’s Day box of chocolates was introduced by Richard Cadbury in 1868.
- 2.2 million marriages take place in the US every year, which breaks down to more than 6,000 per day.
- 70 percent of singles said they would go on a blind date on Valentine’s Day.
- 2010’s romantic comedy film Valentine’s Day made $52.4 million in its first weekend in theaters.
- The average American consumed roughly 24.7 pounds of candy in 2010.
- Last year, $4.1 billion was spent on jewelry as gifts.
Happy Valentine’s Day from the Tiger Leasing team!
Labels: Life is Fun