There has been a shift in the medical world to focus on the idea of personalized medicine. This concept in medical care has been around for a few years, but the effects of this change are still being felt in the industry on a daily basis. So what does personalized medicine mean for health professionals today, and how can your medical practice evolve to follow suit?
What Is Personalized Medicine?
According to David C. Whitcomb, MD PhD, "personalized medicine is a new framework for medical care that involves modeling and simulation of a disease on the basis of underlying mechanisms." Essentially, this means that instead of waiting for a disease to present itself in a patient, and then treating the symptoms that follow, medical professionals are working to create health maintenance strategies based on a patient's unique genetic makeup.
What are the Benefits of Personalized Medicine?
- Medical professionals are able to focus on preventing diseases and illnesses, rather than simply being able to react to them.
- By creating disease prevention strategies, doctors can prescribe more effective treatment plans, including the right drugs, therapies and lifestyle advice.
- The time, cost and failure rate of trial and error health care plans are greatly diminished.
What Advances are Being Made?
We are years away from seeing the full extent of how personalized medicine will change the medical field, there have been incredible advances in recent years.
- Genetic studies have produced incredible treatment advances for patients dealing with certain diseases such as breast cancer: Current applications of personalized medicine.
- 3D Printing has created new opportunities for customized medical devices: New Trends in 3D Printing – Customized Medical Devices
- Oncologists are working to create personalized cancer screening and treatment plans: What is Personalized Cancer Medicine?
What Can You Do?
As a medical professional, there's no doubt that you are committed to providing the best and most current healthcare services and treatment options to your patients. Investing in your practice and education is of the utmost importance in keeping up with changing data and trends. When you're ready to upgrade your equipment and office space, equipment leasing offers valuable benefits and opportunities. Learn more about our medical equipment leasing services and programs and contact Tiger Leasing today for more information.
Labels: Equipment Leasing